Spygate: Tigers to face Boro at Wembley after Saints kicked out of play-off final
STAGE SET: Wembley Stadium. Picture by Les Hull
By Simon Bristow, Co-Editor
Hull City will now play Middlesbrough in the Championship play-off final at Wembley on Saturday after Southampton were sensationally kicked out of the fixture tonight for spying against three clubs.
But with so-called ‘Spygate’ still having another potential twist in a story that has gripped football, Saints could appeal against the sanctions imposed by an Independent Disciplinary Commission, with the EFL (English Football League) admitting this “could result in a further change to Saturday’s fixture”.
In one of the most eagerly anticipated outcomes to a Championship disciplinary hearing in years, the EFL said in a statement this evening: “An Independent Disciplinary Commission has today expelled Southampton from the Sky Bet Championship Play-Offs after the Club admitted to multiple breaches of EFL Regulations related to the unauthorised filming of other Clubs’ training.
“In addition, the Club has received a four-point deduction that will be applied to the 2026/27 Championship table, alongside a reprimand in respect of all the charges.
“The effect of today’s order is that Middlesbrough are reinstated into the 2026 Play-Offs and will proceed to the Play-Off Final against Hull City. The final remains scheduled for Saturday 23 May, with the kick-off time to be confirmed.”
The scandal emerged after Middlesbrough complained that a training session ahead of the first leg of their play-off semi-final against Southampton had been observed and possibly filmed by a man acting on behalf of the south-coast club. After being challenged he was said to have run off before changing his clothes in a nearby golf club and leaving the area.
Today’s disciplinary hearing, which was held behind closed doors, also established that Saints had also spied on two other Championship clubs this season – relating to fixtures against Oxford United in December last year and Ipswich Town as recently as April.
The statement continued: “Southampton was first charged on Friday 8 May, with further charges issued on Sunday 17 May in relation to additional breaches during the 2025/26 season. Those additional charges arose from matters identified after the initial proceedings involving Middlesbrough were initiated.
“Southampton admitted breaches of Regulations requiring Clubs to act with the utmost good faith and prohibiting the observation of another Club’s training session within 72 hours of a scheduled match. The admitted breaches concern fixtures against Oxford United in December 2025, Ipswich Town in April 2026 and Middlesbrough in May 2026.
“Southampton has a right to appeal the Commission’s decision in accordance with EFL Regulations and the parties are working to try and resolve any appeal on Wednesday 20 May. Subject to the outcome, it could result in a further change to Saturday’s fixture.
“The EFL is now in discussion with all three Clubs regarding the implications of today’s decision and will make a further announcement in due course.
“The Commission’s full written reasons will also be published in due course.”
The saga, which will not be fully resolved until the outcome of any appeal by Southampton is known, has caused dismay and anxiety for many Tigers fans over the uncertainty of whether Saturday’s final would go ahead. Many have booked time off work, bought tickets and paid for travel and acccommodation.
City’s appearance in the final is one of the most remarkable achievements in the club’s recent history. The Tigers only retained their Championship status on goal difference last season and went into this campaign under a new head coach in Sergej Jakirović – his first in English football.
The Tigers have also had to operate under a two-window transfer embargo and have been dogged by injuries to key players.
They only secured their play-off berth in sixth place on the final day of the regular season and beat Millwall over two legs in their play-off semi-final.
The Championship play-off final is widely considered the richest game in football, worth about £200m to the winners.