Jakirović hoping for ‘miracle’ as City look to defy odds on Premier League survival

RELAXED: Sergej Jakirović, left, pictured with Hull City PR and social media officer Dan Briggs

By Simon Bristow, Co-Editor

Hull City need “one more miracle” if they are to survive in the Premier League, head coach Sergej Jakirović said today as the Tigers prepare to get their top-flight campaign under way with the visit of Manchester United on Saturday.

He also said City need 40 points to achieve that aim.

Speaking at pre-match media conference this afternoon, Jakirović was asked if the predictions of many pundits tipping the Tigers for the drop helped motivate his side, with the reporter noting City had proved people wrong last season by winning promotion from the Championship.

He said: “Of course, motivation for sure and also we don’t have anything to lose. You don’t have anything to lose you are playing for yourself. You show your potential on the pitch. And like I said, we will see. This is 11 v 11 and we know also our pros and cons; we will try to hide these cons and try to use our biggest act.”

Jakirović was asked if keeping the Tigers up would be an even bigger achievement than winning promotion.

“One more miracle,” Jakirović said. “We need one more miracle. Of course, yes. It will be even bigger achievement I think if we will stay [up]. We need 40 points.”

City are also many bookmakers’ favourites for relegation.

If he was feeling any pressure, the City boss did not show it as he entered the conference in a jovial and relaxed manner, saying “wrong room” as he opened the door to find it packed with more reporters and TV crews than had attended similar occasions in the Championship. He then began counting them.

It was put to Jakirović that some City fans believed some of the commentary about the club’s chances this season from ex-players was “disrespectful”. He agreed.

The head coach said it was “like we are in the Premier League by accident. This for me, stupid, because we earned everything on the pitch and this is disrespectful for the club and for the players, and it’s not fair”.

The Tigers have so far made 11 signings over the summer and are still seeking to boost their attacking options.

Jakirović said he was “expecting three or four” more players to come in before the end of the transfer window. Speculation about who they may be is rife, with the head coach saying that, incredibly, the club has so far been linked with 100 players.

Asked how excited he was to get started in the Premier League, the Bosnian said: “I am buzzing. I like this word.”

He added: “Of course, I’m aware it’s a very big gap between the Championship and Premier League, we know that, but also still this is football – we will try to make difficult game for Man United. Of course, they are favourite, and I can’t wait because I want also to compete with other managers.

“Mostly we will be underdog but still we are used to fight there and we will try to use our opportunities on the pitch.”

With centre-back Charlie Hughes, a key member of last season’s side, out with a groin injury, Jakirović was asked if any of the new recruits in that position – Nobel Mendy, 21, and 18-year-old Lucas Herrington – might start against the Red Devils, but was giving nothing away.

“You should come to watch the game,” the head coach replied. “I will not tell you this but they are ready and tomorrow we will decide who will play against Man United.”

On the injury front, City are also without Joe Gelhardt, Óscar Zambrano and Matty Jacob. Full-back Cody Drameh is available. Experienced Japanese midfielder Hidemasa Morita, 31, one of the new signings, is in training and “may be on the bench”. Hughes will travel to Dublin to see a specialist.

Previous
Previous

Construction worker receives £90,000 after being injured by falling drill

Next
Next

Underwater tech leader maps out future with business park expansion